The Silicosis Support Network (SSN) was established in response to the increase in diagnosis of dust related lung disease in the engineered stone bench top (silicosis) and coal mining industries (coal workers pneumoconiosis).
The SSN is part of the Asbestos Disease Support Society Limited (ABN 29 150 479 514) which was established in 1992 to help and support sufferers of asbestos related diseases, their families and carers. It is a not-for profit charity registered with the Australian Charities and Not-For-Profit Commission (ACNC), with tax deductable gift status.
For more than 25 years the Society has had a proud history of providing support through:
• Meetings of members to share experiences, enjoy the support and company of other members and make connections with those who may be facing similar challenges;
• Facilitation of community meetings to provide current information and hear from medical professionals;
• Access to a qualified and experienced social workers and registered nurse;
• Assessments to meet the needs of individuals and their families;
• Referral to the ADSS lawyer in relation to potential compensation claims.
The SSN operates on the same long-standing principles and services that has supported those suffering from asbestos related diseases.